Monday, September 19, 2011

Saturday: Of scones and sugar (powdered that is)

First off, about the powdered sugar... if you haven't seen my facebook status, then you don't know that on Saturday I bought 50 pounds of powdered sugar. On accident. Yes, 50 pounds. Who knew that Costco even sold 50 pounds of powdered sugar? Anyone?

I was tired. And I never ever go to Costcos on Saturday. I had been to a baby shower that afternoon, gotten up earlier than normal and left the shower a little early because I knew I had to still run errands and I really wanted to get in a nap... I know, I'm a wussy. So I head into Costco, tired and determined to get out of there as quickly as possible... so then sugar is the last thing on my list. I grab it. It's right next to the brown sugar. I don't see the words Powdered anywhere (now I'm dying to go back and see what that sign really said) and I grabbed it. I even glanced around to see if there were any smaller packs of white sugar, but I didn't see any. So I'm blaming my tired eyes here (Or really the concussion)....

Anyways, I get home and the boys graciously unload the groceries for me. One of them then opens up the bag and gets confused because it looks like flour. And that's when I hear that I bought powdered sugar. FIFTY pounds of it. And we probably buy two small packs of powdered sugar a year. Usually around Christmas time because I use it to make eggnog. Yums... So, anyone want some powdered sugar? I did get one suggestion on facebook that maybe it was time to open up a cake shop... and I got one helpful suggestion to NOT divide it up in small plastic bags and sell it on street corners (no worries there)...

So yes, now on to scones. I was asked to bring some scones to a baby shower for this little guy, and I thought I would share the recipe, since I altered it a smidge and they turned out way better than I could have imagined. I made all of the variations on Saturday in the cookbook (The New Best Recipe Cookbook) but the ginger one turned out amazing, so the recipe follows...


Here's one lone scone left. It was more important to eat them than to take pictures! Also, I will note that my name could be interpreted as S. Cone... which spells scone. Not that anyone really cares... ;) but I do have an affinity for scones!




Ginger Scones
1 cup pastry flour (or all purpose)
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons of cold butter, cut up
1/2 cup of candied ginger (in small pieces) *
1 cup heavy cream

Oven temp: 425

Combine the flours, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter. Then add the ginger. (I did it all in a food processor.)

If using a food processor, dump into another bowl and add the cream. Stir until the dough forms a ball, then transfer dough to a floured counter top and knead until it forms a smooth ball.

You can then either free form each scone, or you can pat it into the bottom of a cake pan, invert it and you'll have a round pizza shape. You can then cut the wedges with a scraper or knife and place on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Then eat up!

* I used some that I had made earlier this month, 
but I'm sure it's fine with store bought ginger...

2 comments:

Amy said...

We'll take some powdered sugar. I think Ava uses it in her hot cocoa mix.

I'm going to try this recipe as it was amazingly delicious at the shower.

Sara Bette said...

I'll try and remember to bring ya some on Sunday.:)