Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mini book review: The Help



First off, I'm going to start this by saying that basil pesto is really one of God's best gifts to mankind.
I just had to share that.

Also! Today I finished The Help. It was a fascinating read. 
The author did a great job of pulling you into the world of Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's. A good story like this sucks me in so gently that before I know it, I realize I'm peppering my thoughts with phrases like "Yes'm" "Oh, law" or even the scandalous "dammit, minny" (shocker I know!)  Or I'm speaking to myself in southern drawl. Always an amusing combination. Especially since it turns itself on and off. 

Conversation while making jam this evening:

Me: Now how much sugar do I need? 
Southern Mamie Me: I sho am busy.
Me: Oh, 4 cups
Southern Mamie Me: Now, why ain't these berries boiln'?
Me: Okay, where's the pectin?
Southern Mamie Me: Laws a mercy,

I had a hard time putting it down. Which is why I have a love/hate relationship with fiction. All my self proclaimed self-control can go out of the window when there's a good story to read. That's why I tend to stick with non-fiction. It's easier to put down!

No comments: